Introduction: Ribbon Lampshade

My mom gave me some ribbon yarn the other day and I've been trying to think of something to make with it. I've had this Ikea lampshade for a while that I didn't know what to do with, and so I decided to meet what I could come up up with. After taking it apart and consulting jessyratfink, I concluded upwardly with this pretty fun rainbow ribbon lampshade! It isn't as well complex and ended up a little uneven, but I'1000 happy with information technology as my first lampshade redo!


Stride ane: Supplies

Hither is what you need to transform your lampshade into a ribbon lampshade!

Supplies:

  • Lampshade - Mine is Jära from Ikea. See adjacent step for more information on this.
  • Ribbon Yarn or Ribbon - I used ribbon yarn because my mom gave it to me and I just wanted to use it. When yous decide what to use, continue in mind that you want at least a lilliputian light to laissez passer through it. Hold information technology up to the light before you lot utilize it to examination how well low-cal passes through.

Tools:

  • Scissors
  • Exacto Pocketknife (optional)
  • Hot Glue Gun or E6000 Mucilage - I adopt hot glue for this project equally it cools fast and kept things dandy
  • Ruler - important
  • Masking Record or Scotch Record

Step 2: Lampshade

There are just a couple things to retrieve nigh when going to do this project.

One main thing is that your lampshade works with your lamp. I didn't realize until I started that my lampshade (which I had gotten from someone else considering they didn't need it) actually didn't fit the only lamp in my house that uses a lampshade. Luckily mine had a plastic insert that I was able to shave away at until it fit on the lamp.

The other master affair you need to think well-nigh when doing this is the structure of your shade. Mine had a top band that attached to the lamp and then a slightly bigger bottom ring.

This is a pretty common structure, but the other option is your lamp might accept wires that connect the top ring to the bottom ring. Like this. Either blazon of lampshade should work for this project, but a lampshade that has the top and lesser rings attached should be easier to practise because you won't have to tap them together and endeavour to manage the infinite between them.

Anyway, just wanted to put that all out at that place.

Pace 3: Disassemble Your Lampshade

To get started, you lot will first want to measure how alpine your lampshade is. When yous add your ribbon, you are going to want information technology this alpine or taller then it covers the calorie-free bulb and fixture. Mine was 7" and I call up mine ended upward beingness between 7.5" and 7.75".

Next, you need to remove the shade from the structure of the lamp shade. I used an Exacto knife because information technology was easier, but scissors should work as well. When I got the material off the rings, they were really sticky. I tried to clean them off, but it didn't actually work. Though, it really ended upward being fine that they were sticky because I covered them anyway, and the stickiness helped agree the ribbons in identify.

Footstep four: Prepare Your Lampshade

If you take a lampshade like mine, you are going to need to temporarily attach the superlative and bottom rings earlier you lot can add together the ribbon. You also are probably going to want to employ your lamp, regardless, to concur your lampshade while you work on information technology.

Attach the top and bottom ring with a piece of scotch or masking tape. Make sure they are the correct distance apart to make the shade as tall as you desire information technology. Practise this again directly across from this. Now, add 2 more, one on each side of the two you already have, then you have 4 total in place.

Adjust them as you need to then they are all equal.

Footstep five: Attach Ribbon

Time to get started. I originally wanted to leave the ribbon yarn on the ball while I did this, merely it was too bulky. If demand be, cut off a long, long length of your ribbon yarn to work with. Information technology was actually pretty easy to stop and outset upward a new strand when you demand to. I had to practise this near three or four times.

Start by gluing the ribbon to the top ring. Y'all desire it so the end is facing the lamp and the long strand of ribbon yarn is coming out towards yous.

Bring the ribbon down to the bottom ring, smear a picayune gum along the lesser of that band, and wrap it behind (towards the lamp).

Now, bring information technology back over the superlative of the lamp going from within to out towards you. Make sure you put a little smear of glue on the top. You lot ever want to gum your ribbon in place, especially if y'all accept a lampshade structured similar mine. If you don't mucilage it, the pieces volition move out of place adequately easily.

I volition mention this beneath too, but you demand to wrap the ribbon correct next to each other along the bottom ring and do some overlapping along the top.

Of import Notes:

  • It is very easy to accidentally wrap the ribbon too tight. If you do this, the length of your lampshade will decrease and y'all'll have a lopsided lampshade. I had this issue and information technology is very difficult to try to make information technology taller again. I suggest using a ruler and checking most every wrap to make sure you aren't shrinking or extending the height of the lampshade. I always had my glue gun in forepart of me and my ruler very easily at hand.
  • If your lampshade has a slightly smaller ring on top, like mine, you will demand to do some overlap of your ribbon forth the top ring. Yous don't have to overlap all of the ribbons forth the height, but continue an centre on how your lamp is progressing and overlap as yous need to. I didn't realize this as kickoff, and I think this further contributed to the lopsidedness of my lamp. Endeavour to evenly overlap the best you can so that as you lot finish it off, your ribbon will match up nicely.
  • If/When you lot demand to glue on a new slice of ribbon, I propose trying to have your terminal piece end at the bottom of the ring. This way, you tin glue the finish and wrap information technology effectually towards the within of the lamp where you won't encounter it. So you lot tin can glue on a new piece right to where the terminal piece ended [picture 4 of the next step shows this].
  • Comprehend all of the ring, both superlative and bottom. It just looks nice that mode. And so along the lesser, every bit I mentioned, I has the ribbons snug confronting each other and slightly overlapped or against each other along the top. Too, pay attending when y'all go to the parts that connect to the lamp. Use the mucilage to make certain the ribbon covers those parts.

Stride half dozen: Keep Wrapping

Go on wrapping your ribbon equally yous become around the lamp. Keep an heart on your get-go and where you are to run across how yous are doing lengthwise and with your overlap. Use your ruler!

Footstep vii: Done!

All done!

Here is how it looks [in order]: on the lamp, off the lamp standing on its own, and upside downwardly.

Since information technology doesn't have a structure, yous can see why gluing everywhere the ribbon touches the rings is important. If it wasn't all glued, it would fall apart.

Step 8: My Lamp

Also, if I twist the lamp it swishes back and forth similar it'southward doing the hula, or a person wearing a hula hoop.

Exist the Showtime to Share

Recommendations